Sunday, February 17, 2013

Can a Rooster Count?

One of my baby hens, Honey, is in my chicken special care unit for tonight.  With much hope she will pass the remainder of a bound egg.  My special care unit is so flexible, it changes names depending on which animal is in there.  But, to my point.

In the early evening, I walked down to the hen house to collect any pearls the girls may have left for me.  Two.  The other 10 hens were inside their high rise, settling in at dusk, but Red was pacing outside.  He was looking around, under the big juniper and back out again.  I believe he was looking for Honey.

Red is one very gentle, respectful Rooster.  He is loyally protective of his girls.  He tries to mount them every now and again and if they scoot out from under him, he just goes around in a circle almost a little embarrassed that he even tried.  So, here it was, time to head in to safety for the night and one of his hens was missing.

In my best gallo speak, I explained that she was with me and assured him I was looking after her for the night.  I hope he understood me.  The last thing I would want is for Red to think he lost a hen on his watch.

Sweet dreams, Red.




No comments:

Post a Comment