Saturday, October 19, 2013

New Rules #2: The Mother Tongue

New Rule:  You cannot criticize others for not speaking English until you, yourself, have mastered the mother of all languages.

Perhaps it's an impossible quest, but I am on a mission to help as many people as I can to increase their knowledge and correct their use of the English language so someone on the other side doesn't utter "idiot" when they read what was written.

Now, I'm not talking about the common typing error or the often nonsensical translations attributed to Siri. Nor am I talking about the really tricky parts of a very confusing and difficult language to learn.  I am aiming to address the everyday usages that are thought to be correct, quite confidently so, but are gravely incorrect.


Let's get started, shall we!

If you say this phrase out loud, you might see my point:  "It's the most stupidest thing."

"I seen it!"  No, you haven't.

If you pronounce espresso as expresso or exit as eggzit, then I see why you might say and write: "ect."  But please don't do that anymore.

Here's a grammar detox:  For kicks, imagine this conversation without the word "at" at the end:  "An ocean roll? Where can I buy that at?"  You feel lighter already, don't you?

Do you say, "Between you and I" because you feel using "me" would sound arrogant?  Relax, it is between someone else and you, and you are me.  Embrace your inner me.

And my new favorite that has become near and dear to my heart and that which I will have great difficulty giving up: "Holly smokes!"




2 comments:

  1. I, like you, have issues with how people butcher the English language! Doing my best to teach my babies proper English, as it doesn't seem to be getting done at school. Another sad fact that I feel the need to correct adults!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My point exactly! Thank you for posting KT.

    ReplyDelete