Sunday, October 24, 2010

Wild Animal Kingdom


I know I've said before that ranch life can be harsh, but the sweet birds at my feeder?!


We moved the bird feeder to the front of the house as the side patio is being worked on. It's pleasing to look out at the birds feeding while I myself am feeding at the dining table.


No sooner did I tell Larry the story that a Stellar Jay had come in and spooked off the smaller birds so I spooked off the Jay and the little ones quickly returned, than a falcon swooped in fast and furious, chased a small bird off and out over the pasture, caught it, and took it down to the ground and we must assume ate it based on the rough and tumble we saw going on!


Harsh!


We sat with our jaws dropped. It happened right in front of our eyes. We had to assume it was a falcon. What other bird the size of a large dove would eat a live bird?


A few minutes later, it came back, swooping through, and perched itself in the branches of one of the Junipers beside the house. I took the binoculars to be sure, and yes, it was a falcon. I went out and shooed it away, making threatening noises and clapping. It flew out over the pasture again and landed in a tree to the west. Eventually it moved on.


But really? Pretty little birds at the feeder being picked off by a falcon?


And I thought my biggest concern was the monster hawk scouting out the chickens and ducks.


Well, it is a wild animal kingdom, after all. But maybe we relocate the feeder.

No comments:

Post a Comment