Wednesday, October 13, 2010

It's Beautiful

This is what I have been saying all day as I was glued to my laptop watching live feed of the rescue of the miners in Chile. "It's beautiful."

I couldn't come up with any other expression. As I stood in front of my screen with goosebumps and teary eyes watching yet another miner reach the top of the shoot in the capsula, I would say, "this is beautiful" or "it's beautiful" or "wow, this is so beautiful."

The impact of hundreds of people from all walks of life working ferociously on a common goal hit hard. The human spirit, when set about to focus on the greater good, is beautiful.

I suppose I could make a political statement or even more frightening, a politically correct statement. But neither of those are my intention.

My point is that we just witnessed a very beautiful event today. People from different religions, different political parties, people who wear different clothes, marry different people, speak different languages, eat different foods, pray to different gods, these same people got together and contributed their expertise, their ideas, their time and energy for the same goal.

And the result was, yes, you guessed it, beautiful.

We are more alike than we are different. A paraphrase of something Maya Angelou said.

It is a super clear sky tonight in Central Oregon. The stars are abundant. I will use them to wish many wishes that more can good be accomplished through our differences.

Chi-Chi-Chi-le-le-le. They offered a lesson to us these past 2 months. May we learn from what was endured.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment