Thursday, June 20, 2013

Mango Unchained


They say we gain wisdom as we get older.  I am giddy with my new found wisdom of late.

Not so long ago I was contemplating the purchase of that dainty six pack of Champagne mangoes.  My reluctance to do so was that I found it frustrating that I wasted so much of the fruit when I peeled and cut it.  My mango serving was never pretty like the fruit plates I ordered while dining out.

This is where the wisdom begins to flow, like melting ice cream down the sides of a sugar cone.  If they can make mango look so pretty at restaurants, there must be an efficient and productive way to slice a mango at home!

Years ago, I would have consulted the L-M volume of the Encyclopedia Britannica on the bookshelf.  Again, dipping my hand into my rapidly developing piggy bank of wisdom , I went directly to youtube.  I typed in "cutting a mango."  Sure enough there it was: a video instruction of how to cut and peel a mango.

The video I came across was of a laid back Asian guy sitting in his living room.  On the coffee table in front of him he had a cutting board, knife, spoon, and of course, a mango.  He inspired me.

All these years I have been making a full on mess with my mangoes--juice everywhere, a variety of useless utensils on the counter, mango on my chin as I tried to chew it out of the skins.  Now, simple, done in less than a minute, like a pro.

The goodles get the skins, the hens get the pit and momma has a pretty row of mango slices on her plate.

So smart.


No comments:

Post a Comment