Friday, June 4, 2010

Welcome Bodie! The Story.


It all happened so quickly. I went to dance class on Wednesday and then stopped by Jerri's house to "meet" this little dog who needed a new home. Next thing I knew, I was loading this timid frightened creature into the backseat of my car.

His tag has the name Zipp. He didn't respond to that name and really, a darling miniature Australian Shepherd deserves a more, well, darling name.

So, Bodie it is. (This may or may not have something to do with my enjoyment of the western Cheyenne.)

After being weaned, Bodie went from a breeder to a new home and then a few days ago was brought to Jerri's because they found him "out of control." We got an email from Jeff and Barb, our neighbors who have Nick, a dog like Bodie, saying that Jerri just needed to find a home for this dog. It said something to the effect of "if you want him you better get him fast."

I thought, well by all means we should explore this. Explore the idea. The possibility. Explore what it would mean to have a second dog. When I suggested to Jerri that I take a few pictures to show Larry, she suggested I just bring him the dog.

I was not expecting to come home with a dog. I called Larry, "Honey, I think we have a new dog." While Larry got a kennel ready for him, Bodie and I drove to the feed store to get him a cute dog dish with dog paws print and the food to go inside.

At the feed store I discovered that Bodie has difficulties with men (I so get this dog.) It was sad to see, really. He cowered and growled when Joel, Judd and Bill tried to pet him and give him cookies. When Libby came out; however, he went straight to her and let her love on him while he licked cookie crumbs from her fingers.

When we got home, I introduced Bodie and Larry. He growled at Larry and again cowered behind my legs. He even barked at him. Fortunately, Larry speaks animal. He sat on the floor, made his shoulders soft, his voice tender, he put his head and eyes down and broke up a dog cookie and let Bodie come to him and eat from his hand. By the end of the evening Bodie was letting Larry pet him and he turned his back to him while eating--a sign of trust.

Things sure have changed in a matter of days. Bodie very happily jumps up onto the man cave futon to cuddle with Larry and gives him his belly to rub for as long as Larry has time.

Now we are working on 11 year old Felon and her acceptance of 8 month old Bodie. She is warming to the idea.

The other day we introduced Bodie to the chickens. Or let's say Bodie introduced himself and all his magnificent herding dog talents. I've never seen my hens and rooster run, fly, flutter, spin, jump and flip more than in those 10 seconds. We had another 4 seconds of this and with the help of a remote control collar and a stern "No!" Bodie gets that the hens are not his charges.

Whew. Chicken soup dodged again.

Bodie is a love. He runs himself to exhaustion and then just crashes to recharge. He's great in the car and he's smarter than a whip. It's been new fun to teach him the do's and don't's of ranch life. Extremely tiring too. Most things take me twice as long as I'm either tracking him, calling him, rescuing him from Felon, petting him, schooling him, or just standing still watching him.

We have some work left to do. He is an 8 month old after all. He is a handful. A very soft fluffy innocent endearing handful.

Here's to asking the universe to help us equip our new ranch! Om. Peace. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ms. Farm-lady... just got a chance to go back and read some of your posts. I'm amazed at how much a city girl like you has taken to the "farm life" and sound so happy and content with it. You have always been such a great writer but now with the depth of emotions and feelings you have become exceptional. I will definitely make it a point to look for your posts and to read on a more frequent basis... loves ya... Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. well thank you for such flattering words. i'll do my best to keep you entertained :) xo

    ReplyDelete