Saturday, November 14, 2009

The Fine Art of Layering

A clear crisp 34 degree day in Central Oregon is sheer heaven. The snow covered Cascade range pops out like a 3-D image silhouetted by the most pure natural blue sky. The air is light, effortless. The winter sun at 3,500 feet is energizing and soothing at the same time.

Sure, it's 34 degrees. But it's a dry 34. There is no humidity, so no bone chilling effect of the east coast or the southern hemisphere or southern California for that matter. Dress appropriately and everything is just fine, my friends.

It's been years and years and years since I've layered my clothing much beyond a turtle neck under my polar or a tank top under a vee-neck sweater. While 34 degrees is refreshing, one must be smart in survival dressing.

My new favorite Paradox liner pants are worn under my Wrangler ranch jeans, a turtle neck under my cotton jacket under my down jacket, a darling ice blue soft thermal cap to top it all off. And sometimes with the sun, shedding a layer is more than necessary. With one layer, or all 3, I can stay outdoors for hours and be super comfortable.

Now, think back to layering as a child. If you think about it, it's really 3 layers of pants alone. Most of us are used to 2 layers: panties and trousers. So, after a while of drinking water and being outdoors, the call to pee does knock. Try breaking that age-old habit of just 2 layers. Not so easy! That third layer sure does come as a surprise when time is of the essence.

Thankfully, with winter just beginning in Central Oregon I believe I've got plenty of room to perfect the fine art of shedding layers. Now just to perfect my timing....

No comments:

Post a Comment