Saturday, June 13, 2015

But Where Do You Get Your Protein?

This is very common question I am asked by people who really don't know where they get their own protein.  They've heard that protein is necessary to eat and that it is found in meat, chicken and fish, so that's what they eat.  My guess is, they're not really sure how many grams of protein their own body requires per day.  In fact, a study by Luna revealed that 50% of women between the ages of 18 and 50 do not know if they get enough protein in a day.

Where someone chooses to get their protein is their business.  And where I get mine is my business.

But, for the sake of sharing information, which might be helpful to everyone in this round of question and answer...

The recommended protein intake per day for the average sedentary woman is 46g. Note that most recommendations you'll see are for sedentary people; that's alarming. I bump my protein intake up to account for my activity level and aim to consume 70g of protein per day. I can achieve this rather easily without eating animal products.*

So, starting with a minimum of 46g per day, this is my tally so far, and I haven't had lunch yet:

protein bar 8g
almonds 21.1g
raisins 1g
apple 1g
egg* x 2 12g
lentils 9g
avocado 1.9g
tortilla 1g
lettuce .5g

I have already consumed 55.5g of protein.  I have surpassed the sedentary woman recommendation and am just 14.5g shy of the active woman recommendation.

In addition to the protein I gain from this food, you can see the other nutrients, vitamins and fiber included.  

If you believe your best source of protein comes from meat, are you aware of how little the recommended serving is compared to the average portion served?

I say, eat what makes you happy.  While doing that, I hope you are healthy.

I know I am both.

*I eat the eggs of my own happy, free-range, well-fed hens.  When they are not laying, I do not buy eggs from any other source.


No comments:

Post a Comment