Saturday, March 10, 2012

New Rules: #37

Companies must agree on a standard format for on-line log-ins and passwords.

Today, while attempting to recharge my Starbucks card on-line, I had to register.  Do you remember when registering used to be just entering your email address?

Now, registering requires your name, address, birth date, city of birth, a list of "click here if you don't want to receive" a variety of inbox fillers and then of course, a unique log-in and password.

Unique makes using your standard log-in impossible.  The Starbucks log-in has to be at least 6 characters and contain at least one digit.  (I'm holding back an urge.)  So, I create a new log-in different than my usual, hoping that I will remember it for the next recharge.

Now to the password.  Again, my standard password format, that I can remember, does not work.  It must be at least 6 characters, including a capital letter, and as you guessed it, at least one digit.  (I'm struggling to hold back the single digit urge.)

With a standard log-in format, we can still achieve the goal of not using the same password for all of our on-line accounts.  We will have a better chance of remembering our log-in and password without having to remember if this is the company that requires capital letters and a single digit.

And what if we do want to use the same password?

No comments:

Post a Comment